Iowa cross-country faced tough competition at Notre Dame

David Harmantas
Madison Waymire (right) and Andrea Shine run up a hill at the Hawkeye Invitational Cross Country meet on Friday, September 1, 2017. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Hawkeye cross-country has returned home after a weekend in South Bend, Indiana, where the men and women participated in the difficult Joe Piane Invitational hosted by Notre Dame on Sept. 29.

Iowa was one of 51 schools, which included 42 men’s teams (five ranked) and 47 women’s teams (seven ranked). The schools were split between two races for each division: The men and women’s Blue and the men and women’s Gold.

The Hawkeye women competed in the women’s 5,000-meter Gold race and placed sixth of 27 at 196 points. Junior Andrea Shine led Iowa, finishing fifth with a time of 17:16, a new personal best. Senior Madison Waymire finished 12th with a time of 17:36.

RELATED: Hawkeye cross country took home two individual titles in Nebraska

The Hawkeye men competed in the men’s 5-mile Blue race and placed 14th of 21, at 374 points. Iowa had tough competition from five ranked teams: No. 4 Colorado, No. 11 Washington State, No. 13 Southern Utah, No. 29 Eastern Michigan, and No. 30 North Carolina State.

Sophomore Nathan Mylenek was the first Hawkeye to finish, placing 44th with a time of 24:32.9. Junior Daniel Soto finished next with a personal best time of 24:55.3 at 69th.

After an intense weekend of racing, the Hawkeyes will have two weeks until their next meet. Iowa’s next, and its last race in the regular season, will be the Bradley Invitational in Peoria, Illinois, on Oct. 13.