Iowa extends Tom Brands

Iowa head coach Tom Brands watches during the Iowa-Michigan State duel at Jenison Field House in East Lansing on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Spartans, 44-0. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Adam Hensley

The University of Iowa Athletics Department announced on Sept. 22 that wrestling head coach Tom Brands has received a three-year contract extension.

The department also announced that it will look at the opportunity to build a new wrestling training center.

“I’m fortunate to be a part of an institution that is committed to providing a world-class experience to its student-athletes,” Brands said in a release. “We have tremendous leadership, and I thank Gary Barta, Barbara Burke, President Bruce Harreld, and the entire campus community for their continued support of the Iowa wrestling program.”

Brands, winner of three NCAA team titles and coach of 10 national champions since 2006, will be under contract through 2022-23.

The wrestling team’s training space is currently in the second floor of Carver-Hawkeye. A faculty feasibility study could lead to a separate training facility, according to a release.

“As part of our on-going commitment to student-athletes, the department will begin a feasibility study for the potential development of a wrestling practice facility,” UI Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Barta said in a release. “The study will allow us to evaluate our options for the continued enhancement of Iowa wrestling.”

Barta noted the momentum of the wrestling program, saying he’s “excited about the future” in a release.

For Brands, wrestling is more than just a sport at Iowa.

“Wrestling at Iowa is a lifestyle,” he said in a release. “It’s practiced every day in the classroom, in the household, in the community, and on the mat. Our administration knows it. Our fans expect it. And we love it.”

Hawkeye wrestling will open the season on Nov. 17, when Iowa hosts the Iowa City Duals.

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Football

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Football

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Baseball

Iowa baseball moves on following departures

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Soccer

By the Numbers: Iowa soccer’s defense

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Former Hawkeye C.J. Beathard takes over for 49ers

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Football

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

DITV

DITV Football: Sept 25, 2018

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

DITV

DITV Sports: Sept 25, 2018

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Football

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time

• Iowa extends Tom Brands

Football

Report card: How did Iowa football look against Wisconsin?