UI seeks change in leisure studies

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben S
Interim Provost Sue Curry listens during the state Board of Regents Academic and Student Affairs Committee meeting inside the IMU Main Lounge on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017. (Ben Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The University of Iowa has requested approval from the state Board of Regents to change the name of the M.A. in Leisure Studies program to M.A. in Sport and Recreation Management.

The proposed name change would align the graduate program with the Bachelor of Science program in Sport and Recreation Management, which was formed and approved by the regents in 2014.

The Master of Arts in Leisure Studies (with a subprogram of Leisure and Recreational Sport Management emphasis) prepares students for careers in the sport and recreation industries, according to regents’ documents.

The Council of Provosts and regents office staff reviewed this request at the regents’ June meeting and recommended approval.

If approved, the UI will implement the name change in January 2018. Students currently enrolled in the M.A. in Leisure Studies program may choose their degree objective to M.A. in Sport and Recreation Management or continue their studies under the former name.

The UI has also requested approval from the regents to terminate the M.F.A. in music program in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

The Doctor of Musical Arts program has replaced the M.F.A. in Music program as the standard terminal degree in the field and is preferred by employers, according to regents’ documents. The program has also seen a large decline in enrollment within the last five years with zero enrollments and one graduation since 2011.

— by Emily Wangen