State audit reports improper purchases by former UI staff member

File+photo

File photo

A state audit report released May 25 alleged that the University of Iowa Athletics Department’s former information technology director made improper purchases and disbursements.

State Auditor Mary Mosiman issued a report based on a special investigation requested by UI officials “as a result of concerns regarding improper transactions processed by Patrick Delin,” the former IT director who resigned Feb. 3.

The report — which details findings of records and transactions between Aug. 6, 2012, and Feb.  7 — identified $6,224 in improper disbursements, including $1,593 for personal purchases, $1,888 for cellphone charges, and $2,742 for travel payments.

Of the expenses for improper personal purchases, Mosiman reported Delin “intentionally submitted” five invoices for $984 of personal items “which showed something other than what was actually purchased.”

An internal audit reportedly determined that Delin provided a cellphone for his wife, who is employed in the Athletics Learning Center in the UI Athletics Department, though “internal audit determined a cellphone was not required for her job duties.”

Mosiman reported $2,493 of the improper travel payments related to a three-day conference in Colorado that Delin attended only during a portion of the first day, stating “he returned early because the conference was not related to his job duties.” Additionally, Delin registered for but did not attend a conference in Miami.

Recommendations issued in the report include enhancing the Athletics Department’s control over purchases made with procurement cards, implementing procedures to provide documentation to ensure purchased items are not personal in nature, and maintaining an inventory listing of all computers and mobile devices.

Documents from the state Board of Regents’ April meeting detail an internal audit, unrelated to the state audit, resulting in recommendations that were made “for strengthening the internal controls for IT purchasing and the equipment inventory cycle, user access management for the Paciolan ticketing system, and policies and segregation of duties regarding departmental cellphones.”