Letter to editor: Lessons of history don’t lessen

In this April 6, 2017, photo, President Donald Trump walks from the podium after speaking at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Fla., Thursday, April 6, 2017, after the U.S. fired a barrage of cruise missiles into Syria. Trump’s White House, one perpetually plagued by infighting among aides jockeying for the president’s ear, has been sharply divided by a new rivalry, one pitting his powerful son-in-law with unfettered access to the president against the sharp-elbowed ideologue who fueled Trump’s populist campaign rhetoric. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

AP

AP

Howard Zinn must be rolling in his grave. Why don’t the talking heads in the media correct President Trump? The separation of church and state was not initiated by the American government nor the Founders. It came from the Baptist Church that petitioned Thomas Jefferson to not let the government interfere in its religious practices as the Church of England and the Catholic Church had done in Europe.

By not allowing religion to be at the center of government decisions, the U.S. has avoided the pogroms that have infected most of the world — and grown rich.

American history is very interesting, and more of the media elites should study/know it. Or as Santayana stated: “If you do not know your history, you are bound to repeat it.”

— Mary Gravitt

• Letter to editor: Lessons of history don’t lessen

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: UISG president on recent online harassment

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: John Norris for Iowa Governor

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Senator, Representatives in Des Moines support Pat Heiden

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor: Support for Pat Heiden, Zach Wahls

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Vote Mary Mosiman for state auditor

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Mid-year budget cuts irresponsible

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: In defense of state auditor candidate Rob Sand

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor: Fund the backfill, corrections to voter turnout column

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor: Remembering U.S. wars, preventing school violence

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Grassley responds to editorial on gun violence