Pillard: Gaga’s safe and unifying performance

AP
FILE – In this March 21, 2016 file photo, the Flint Water Plant water tower is seen in Flint, Mich. Michigan environmental officials announced Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017, that Flint’s water system no longer has levels of lead exceeding the federal limit. The finding by the Department of Environmental Quality is good news for a city whose 100,000 residents have grappled with the man-made water crisis since 2014. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio, File)

by Logan Pillard

Drones, pyrotechnics, guitar solos. It’s safe to say that Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl performance was anything but disappointing. There are those, however, that call her performance “safe.”

Of course, when we talk about a Gaga Super Bowl, we mustn’t use the word “safe” lightly. She jumped from the roof surrounded by an army of glowing drones, thrashed her body with dance moves that would give any plebeian whiplash, and belted the lyrics to her top hits as fire engulfed the stage behind her. Even her costume, a leotard encrusted with jewels, was a statement in itself. (Not to mention the chaffing, ouch.)

Yet her critics claim that the longtime advocate didn’t push the boundaries enough politically. She made no remarks on the president’s recent executive order, his less-than cordial discussions with fellow world leaders, or the deep political and ideological divides in our country. No, Gaga kept her performance about the music, inviting all into her world to just dance and wear their best poker faces. And that was the edgiest move.

It was no secret that the masses expected some sort of glitter-coated statement from Gaga. Come on, this is the woman who stood atop a garbage truck outside Trump Tower, waving a “Love Trumps Hate” sign. Her entire career has been one jaw-dropping feat after the other. Anyone else remember the meat dress?

The Super Bowl halftime show is an annual spectacle highly anticipated by both the left and right. The center theme of the performance was Unity, something never needed as much among the American public.

The performance began as Lady Gaga stood upon the roof of the NRG Stadium, drones flying on either side behind her. First separated between red and blue, the drones came together to form an American flag above the stadium as Gaga sang “America the Beautiful” and “This Land is Your Land” and recited the last portion of the Pledge of Allegiance “… With liberty and justice for all,” proceeding to then leap off the edge of the roof to the stage below.

Song after song, Gaga entertained the millions of viewers with familiar hits throughout her career, including “Born this Way,” an anthem dedicated to loving yourself and all the things that make us different. Dancers of every color and gender danced behind her as hundreds more surrounded the stage with lights.

Gaga took a break from dancing to sit at a piano and take a moment to address her viewers. “How you doing tonight, Texas? America, World, how you doing tonight? We’re here to make you feel good, you want to feel good with us?” she said, before singing her latest hit, “Million Reasons.” The song, a ballad about finding hope and comfort even in the darkest of times, was the perfect song to reach out to the crowd and offer a moment of solidarity in which we could put politics aside and watch as she put her heart and soul into her vocals.

She ended her performance with a costume change into white shoulder pads and a roaring performance of her arguably most popular hit, “Bad Romance,” an almost-ironic name for our country’s current environment. As the show ended, Gaga climbed a staircase to nowhere, called out “Super Bowl 51,” and mic-dropped her way into the history books as one of the most entertaining and unifying performances in Super Bowl history.