Woodbury dominates in blowout

Iowa center Adam Woodbury poses for a photo during Media Day in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2015. The Hawkeyes will open their season at home against Souix Falls on Oct. 29, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Adam Woodbury posted a career-high 15 rebounds in Iowa’s 73-49 victory over Penn State.
By Kyle Mann

There’s just something about Adam Woodbury.

Maybe it’s because he was once accused of being a serial eye-poker, or maybe it’s because he once shushed his own crowd. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t have a 50-inch vertical.

Whatever the issue is, Hawkeye fans in Woodbury’s four years at Iowa have been quick to find fault with the 7-footer, often poking fun at him on social media for one thing or another.

But as Iowa fans are finding out in the 2015-16 season, especially on Wednesday against Penn State, they’re going to miss him when he’s gone. As a matter of fact, the Hawkeyes have learned that explicitly on several occasions this season.

In Iowa’s loss to Maryland on Jan. 28, Woodbury spent most of the game in foul trouble, which led to an uncharacteristically high number of easy shots surrendered by the Hawkeyes near the basket. With Woodbury back on the floor early in the second half, the defense was significantly improved while the Hawkeyes took several brief leads. Once he left again, it was back to the rim for the Terrapins.

It was a similar story against Purdue; although the Hawkeyes ultimately won the game by 12, Purdue was markedly better with Woodbury on the bench with fouls.

On Wednesday night, however, Woodbury stayed on the floor and gave a prime example of what he does for his team.

“He’s the anchor of our defense and the king of rebounding for us,” Nicholas Baer said. “He’s definitely the guy that we look to to take that upon himself and rebound for us. Rebounding is a team thing, but he definitely takes it upon himself to get as many rebounds as possible, and we rely on him.”

Woodbury had one of his most dominant performances against the Nittany Lions after establishing himself early. By the time the game had reached its first media time-out, Woodbury had 3 points, 3 rebounds, and a block.

At halftime, Woodbury had already corralled 10 rebounds to go with 5 points and 2 blocks.

He seemed unfazed following a performance against Northwestern in which he scored no points and attempted only two shots, largely because he knows that’s not his role.

“Something I pride myself on is trying to set a tone down low,” Woodbury said. “It was a battle of wills down there, and I’m happy we came out on top.”

Woodbury finished with 5 points and a career-high 15 rebounds, and he could have easily hit 20 if not for the blowout being sealed early in the second half.

“He was spectacular all night,” coach Fran McCaffery said. “They were hard-earned traffic rebounds. That’s the thing about Penn State; they are coming after the ball when it comes off the rim, so you have to be able to get traffic rebounds and be strong with the ball.”

In his last five games, Woodbury has three double-doubles and is logging 8.2 points and 11 rebounds. Even with more than 100 career games under his belt, believe it or not, Woodbury is getting better and peaking at the right time.