Council approves rezoning

Picasa 2.7

The Iowa City City Council voted unanimously to approve an ordinance rezoning the 600 block of S. Dubuque St. from a community commercial zone to a Riverfront Crossings zone.

The Iowa City Planning and Zoning Commission had previously voted for the rezoning of the district at its Nov. 5 meeting, and asked for the city to approve it as well.

John Yapp, Iowa City development services coordinator, said the proposed rezoning would allow low-scale commercial buildings with a maximum height of four stories.

The goals for the proposed property would be building apartments with retail on the first level, have the building adjacent to the rail line, and to run a pedestrian street between the two proposed buildings, Yapp said.

Mayor Pro-tem Susan Mims said she approved the rezoning.

“They have put together a nice plan given the complexities of this site,” she said.

Mims also said she liked how the buildings would have accessible entrances and that was a real positive, saying she liked the plan because it’s not as general as some others put before the council.

“I like the design and think it will fit in the neighborhood well,” she said.

Councilor Jim Throgmorton said the project had been very controversial in the past over concerns that the Riverfront Crossings District Master Plan wouldn’t allow for such development, but also said it appears to be consistent with the plan. He said the conceptualized design looks good.

Iowa City Mayor Matt Hayek said there was also some degree of concern toward what the move would result in, but was supportive of the ordinance and the proposal.

“This is an attractive product and proposal,” Hayek said.

— by Austin Petroski