Words come alive at Blue Moose

The word is alive and it’s at Blue Moose.
Metalcore outfit the Word Alive will bring the roof down at Blue Moose at 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

After supporting metalcore giants Motionless in White and the Devil Wears Prada on the Apollo X Tour for the past month, the Word Alive will take the helm for this show certain to keep the neighbors up. The Zealots, Circadian Rhythm, Those Dirty Thieves, and Calm Is Key will share the stage.

The Phoenix-based five-piece of Tyler “Telle” Smith (vocals), Zack Hansen (lead guitar), Tony Pizzuti (rhythm guitar), Daniel Shapiro (bass guitar), and Luke Holland (drums) signed to Fearless Records shortly after the group’s formation. The members have released an EP, *Empire*, and three full albums: Deceiver, Life Cycles, and Real.

The Zealots is a rock quartet from Bettendorf, composed of Micah Martin (vocals), Ryan Housenga (guitar), Benjamin Lange (bass guitar), and Adam Housenga (drums).

With set lists full of rock anthems complemented by melodic instrumentals, the Zealots is out to breathe some new life into the Iowa music scene.

“The thing that really helps us create is everyday life,” Martin said. “We want to push harder and harder because of the circumstances we go through on a day-to-day basis.”

Being based in the Quad Cities, the Zealots is hundreds of miles from big cities such as Chicago, where performance opportunities abound, but the members are determined not to let that be an obstacle.

“We travel whatever distance is needed to play the show,” Martin said. “If you have a desire to do something and you truly want it, you find a way to do it. Plain and simple.”

MUSIC
What: Word Alive
When: 5:30 p.m. Saturday
Where: Blue Moose, 211 Iowa