UISG OKs IMU napping

By Beau Bowman

Sleep? There’s a nap for that.

The University of Iowa Student Government approved funding for IMU napping stations on Tuesday after a few weeks of sleeping on the issue

At a UISG meeting in early October, senators proposed a bill to create napping stations in the basement of the IMU. Due to the lack of education on the topic, senators tabled the bill until Tuesday night.

The stations will cost a little under $7,000 and include comfortable recliners to grab some shuteye. Senators questioned Sen. Ben Dellos on some of the issues the napping stations would create.

Dellos spoke about study findings that influenced the decision to allot 30 minutes to students using the napping stations.

“Thirty minutes has been researched, and that seems to be a reasonable time to energize students to be able to study,” Dellos said.

Several senators against the bill told supporters to keep dreaming. They were wary of spending that much money on such a dim space. 

“I am against this bill,” Sen. AJ Garcia said. “I don’t think it is worth $7,000 to spend on a napping station when I can walk 10 minutes and sleep in my own bed.”

The main concern voiced by senators related to student safety.

“If we were to have any incident, we have to be aware of the repercussions,” said Sen. Kimberly Chexnayder. “The outcome is going to be on us.”

Sen. Sara Bultsma noted security measures the UI takes in the IMU.

“The IMU is well-monitored because it is open 24 hours a day, and the staff is well aware of our safety concerns,” Bultsma said.

There were also several concerns over the space where the napping stations will rest.

“We don’t have a layout plan for this bill,” Sen. Titus Hou said. “We are going to spend the money on the chairs and lockers but no confirmed space yet.”

Sen. Noah Kirschbaum said his restless constituents would benefit from the stations.

“I represent a constituency, and I know what they want,” he said. “If we voted down anything that had any risks, we wouldn’t get anything done.”

Senators ultimately passed the bill handily, followed by cheers of glee from supporters.

The napping stations are set to be up and running by finals week this semester.

The Senate also appointed the Student Judicial Court after 10 weeks without addressing the issue.

With a void to fill in the Senate, the newly appointed judicial court swore in UI freshman Connor Gronski.

Upcoming UISG Schedule

Committee Meeting, Nov. 3, 2015 at 252OD University Capitol Center at 7 p.m.

Senate Meeting, Nov. 10, 2015 at 252OD University Capitol Center at 7 p.m.

Committee Meeting, Nov. 17, 2015 at 252OD University Capitol Center at 7 p.m.