No. 20 field hockey goes 1-1

Iowa forward Mallory Lefkowitz and Kent State midfielder Jessica Nesbitt run down the field at Grant Field on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Flashes 7-1. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

The Iowa field-hockey team lost another matchup against a Big Ten opponent over the weekend, but also earned a win in a nonconference match.

On Oct. 9, Iowa traveled to Ann Arbor to compete against the No. 16 Wolverines. Michigan scored early in the contest with its first goal in the eighth minute.

Another goal was followed in the 23rd minute by a penalty corner that put the Wolverines up 2-0 entering halftime. Before halftime, they outshot the Hawkeyes, 10-3 and earned two penalty corners.

In the second half, Michigan added 2 more goals in the 42nd and 55th minutes to run away with a 4-0 victory.

Iowa took 8 shots and earned 6 penalty corners. Four of the team’s shots came from sophomore Veronique Declercq. Sophomore Mallory Lefkowitz and juniors Chandler Ackers, Stephanie Norlander, and Sophie Plasteras each had one shot.

The second day in Michigan was a major turnaround; Iowa downed Central Michigan, 4-1, on Sunday.

Before halftime the Hawks were up 1-0 on a goal by Ackers. During the first half they outshot Central Michigan 5-1, and earned 4 penalty corners.

Central Michigan evened the score in the 50th minute in the second half, but the Hawkeyes went on to score 3 more goals from Declercq, Norlander, and Ackers. Iowa had 16 shots and earned 9 penalty corners in the game, improving from its previous match against No. 16 Michigan.

The Hawkeyes are now 8-6 overall. The squad will return home, where they will take on Michigan State on Friday and Ohio State on Oct. 18.

—by Mario Williams