UISG passes funding

By Alyssa Guzman

The University of Iowa Student Government passed a new act and inducted new members Tuesday night.

Sophomore Jeremy Vogel was sworn in as the 2015 UISG secretary during the meeting. An additional 10 senators were also inducted.

After a few brief announcements from the executives, the meeting was adjourned following passage of an act allowing supplemental funding to student organizations.

The official name of the legislation is Supplemental Funding I, and it allows the allocation of roughly $32,800 to student organizations that submitted budget requests for the Supplemental Funding Period I.

The Student Assembly of Budgeting and Allocations Committee met to discuss funding requests and agreed upon the allocations included with the bill.

There are more than 140 student organizations benefiting from this act. The organizations range from academic to gaming to cultural.

A few of the recipients include the Actuarial Science Club, the African Student Association, Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity, the American Sign Language Club, the Anime, Comics, and Games Association, the Big Brothers Big Sisters at Iowa, and many others.

President Liz Mills said the passage of this bill is “crucial in order for student organizations to operate effectively.”

Vice President Morgan Brittain agreed with Mills.

“Passage of Supplemental Period I funding will better equip the awarded organizations to accomplish their goals and ensure their programs have a significant impact on the UI campus,” he said.

Last week, UISG conducted a joint meeting with the UI Graduate and Professional Student Government. UI interim President Jean Robillard and Regent Rachael Johnson were in attendance.

Robillard defended incoming UI President Bruce Harreld following votes of no confidence by both UISG and GPSG.

Johnson, a student at the University of Northern Iowa, defended her vote against a tuition freeze for the UI earlier this month. The freeze, which the state Board of Regents approved by majority vote, affected only the UI and not UNI or Iowa State University — which saw tuition increases of $100 for the spring semester.