Around the Big Ten

Around the Big Ten

1.  Ohio State
The reigning Big Ten and national champions enter the 2015 season as the first program

in NCAA history to be a consensus No. 1 overall team in the AP Poll.  They kick off with a redemption tour against Virginia Tech, the only team to beat them last season.

2.  Michigan State
Fresh with a new defensive coordinator, Michigan State will try once again for another Big Ten title to go with its most recent win in 2013. Will they unseat the Buckeyes, or is another year in Ohio State’s shadow just around the corner?

3.  Wisconsin
Probably the closest thing the Big Ten West has to a true odds-on front-runner. With the Paul Chryst era set to begin, the Badgers return a defense that should be tops in the conference. But will the offense be able to cope with the loss of Melvin Gordon?

4.  Minnesota
As head coach Jerry Kill enters his fifth season at the helm of the Gophers, Minnesota is poised for a breakout season that could catch a few by surprise. If its offensive line is up to snuff and junior quarterback Mitch Leidner continues to progress, the Gophers could be a force in the Big Ten West.

5.  Penn State
Penn State is a team with a unique situation. Should it find its offensive stride, it could challenge for a Big Ten title this year. But playing in a rough East Division with the likes of Ohio State and Michigan State won’t make things any easier.

6.  Michigan
One word: Harbaugh  No matter how the season plays out for Big Blue, attention will most likely remain focused on Michigan’s first-year coach. Harbaugh has the pedigree, but how much change can he implement in just one off-season?

7.  Iowa
There’s a ton of questions surrounding just about every unit the Hawkeyes will put on the field this year, but the potential for something momentous is there. With the easiest schedule of any Power Five team in the nation, the Hawkeyes will be short on excuses once again should they falter again.

8.  Nebraska
The firing of Bo Pelini by the Huskers last winter was curious to say the least.  The man epitomized Nebraska football to a T, and with nice-guy Mike Riley ready to step in, Big Red seems to be in a weird state of flux for the first time in what seems like forever.

9.  Indiana
Could this be the year that the Hoosiers actually make the fabled bowl game that has eluded them since 2007? Maybe. Nate Sudfeld is an underrated quarterback as far as the Big Ten goes, and the Hoosier offense actually looks formidable. Defense is a huge question mark.

10.  Rutgers
The Scarlet Knights are entering their second year in the Big Ten, and they look more like a regular than fellow newcomers Maryland. Their offense could propel them to a second-straight bowl appearance, but they still have their work cut out for them defensively.

11.  Maryland
Head coach Randy Edsall had his wake-up call after his first year in the Big Ten, and he has devoted more time this off-season to developing a bigger, more hard-nosed and athletic offensive line. Still, questions at quarterback and lack of experience on D could make this season tough.

12. Northwestern
The Wildcats have a killer schedule this season, including the season-opener against No. 21 Stanford as well as trips to Wisconsin and Michigan. There are reasons for optimism, but thinking of Northwestern as anything more than the 5-7 team it has been the last two seasons is probably foolhardy.

13.  Purdue
Darrell Hazell could be on to something at Purdue, but it’ll likely take a few years before anyone starts to see the true effect of his influence at West Lafayette. They were below average on both sides of the ball last season and will probably remain there in 2015.

14.  Illinois
I don’t know man, I just don’t know. The Illini appeared to be on the up, kind of, at Big Ten media days in August, but with the firing of head coach Tim Beckman eight days before the opener. So, yeah.

OFFENSIVE IMPACT

Name: J.T. Barrett & Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Position: Quarterbacks

Year: Sophomore & junior, respectively

It’s not often two players on the same team who play the same position are on the player watch list in the same week, but that’s the embarrassment of riches Urban Meyer has amassed at Ohio State. Meyer won’t revel who will take snaps, but rest assured they’ll see the field in some capacity.

DEFENSIVE IMPACT

Name: Shilique Calhoun, Michigan State

Position: Defensive End

Year: Senior

Shilique Calhoun, senior defensive end, Michigan State — Calhoun is the best player on arguably the best defense in the conference and one of the top defensive units in all of college football. A frequent member of more than a few preseason trophy watch lists, Calhoun will try to make a statement in his final year of college football with Sparty.

GAME TO WATCH: OHIO STATE AT VIRGINIA TECH
When: 7 p.m. Sept. 7
Where: Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Virginia
Watch: ESPN