Firesale celebrates seven years

Seven years of following your dreams alongside your best friends is something worth celebrating — or at least Colton Menke, Max Lipnick, Mckinley Kuhlmann, and Joe Verstraete seem to think so.

The Davenport natives, who make up the band Firesale, started off in 2007 playing punk-rock covers and now write and perform their own original reggae music. They are quickly approaching their Seven-Year Anniversary Show, which will take place at the Yacht Club, 13 S. Linn St., at 10 p.m. Friday. The band members said they couldn’t be more excited to play in such a familiar environment alongside opening acts Dan DiMonte and Aitas.

“We play there all the time,” said band drummer Verstraete. “We always have a great time, and it’s one of our favorite Iowa City venues, so we wouldn’t want to do it anywhere else.”

Yacht Club general manager Pete McCarthy appears to be just as fond of the band as the members are of the club. He said Firesale first played at the venue when the members were still in high school.

Since then, he has looked forward to their going to college and being able to play on a more regular basis.

“I think it’s awesome that they chose to do it here,” the manager said. “We’ve always had a good working relationship with them, so we’re glad they chose to keep it at home.”

Despite having performed at the Yacht Club numerous times, Firesale members said the upcoming show is certain to be unlike anything the band has done in the past. Lipnick, Firesale’s lead singer and rhythm guitarist, said the band members definitely have some surprises up their sleeves.